I’m not going to deny it. I’m lazy AF. The thought of getting in the car to go and buy lunch fills me with dread. You see, we don’t have a canteen at work, so if you were too lazy to make yourself lunch, you have to hop in the car and scout the neighbourhood for something tasty.
Enter in the life changing food delivery services: UberEATS and Mr D Food. Since UberEATS has FINALLY launched in an area relevant to me (hello Fourways), I could try out their service.
At the same time, I thought it only fair to compare UberEATS vs Mr D Food, since both essentially offer the same thing.
Want R100 off your first UberEATS order? Use the code eats-uberjesska under the promotions tab in the app. This Uber EATS promo code will work in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and future cities in South Africa*
How it works
Whether you are using UberEATS or Mr D Food, you need to download the app from your App Store to your phone. The Apps for both services are pretty much identical. Each restaurant has a listing, with a checkbox menu, that works very similarly to most online shopping websites. You enter in your delivery address, view the restaurants in your area, browse the menu and then add the items of food to your cart, making additions or removals where necessary.
You then checkout, pay and in 30-45mins your food arrives at your door. You can even track the progress of your order and get updates about when it will arrive.
- your food sometimes gets delivered in a fancy car. My first order arrived in a Mercedes. My second arrived on a motorbike.
- if you already have an uber account, it automatically links up, this means fewer forms to fill in
- they have a few upmarket restaurants that don’t traditionally offer delivery services
- you can earn credits for free food by sharing your uber eats code with first-time users. If you want R60 off your first order, simply enter the code eats-uberjesska under the promotions tab in the app. Once you’ve done that, you can give your own unique code to your friends and family and profit $$ (you can find your own code under the “Free Food” tab in settings.)
- for some unknown reason, Uber drivers cannot find my office, despite a giant number outside. This means that orders take 5-10mins longer with a few confused phone calls – this drives me crazy.
- not a huge variety of restaurants – this is probably because they are new, I’m sure it will improve with time
- straws and serviettes are not always a given – I have no idea why, but straws are definitely a requirement for a smoothie.
- food arrives a bit jumbled. My smoothie definitely enjoyed a tumble or two on its way to me. (yes the strawless smoothie)
- some restaurants have a 20% markup on their prices (I use Col’cacchio for comparison because R108 for a salad is crazy money)
Mr D Food
- a bigger variety of restaurants, with many affordable options for lunch
- professional delivery, on time, without issues
- bigger coverage area than UberEATS – this will obviously change with time
- pay via card in the app or with cash on delivery
- promotions with free delivery (currently you can get free delivery from Rocomamas, Spur, Panarottis and John Dory)
- you can also place an order that you collect yourself
- no credits for free food for referrals
- delivery fee is R35 compared to R20 for UberEATS
So based on this, Mr D Food seems to be the winner for now, which makes sense since they have been doing this food delivery thing since I was a kid. 25 odd years of experience is definitely working to their advantage.
Uber needs to work on training their couriers on proper food handling procedures, as well as how to find buildings using street numbers and not GPS co-ordinates, once they have those issues sorted, I reckon they could give Mr D a run for their money.
Any other food delivery apps I should try out? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me on @JessKa_F.
*The UberEats Promo code eats-uberjesska is an affiliate code and will result in me receiving a voucher for half the value you receive. You eat for free, I eat for free, we all get fat. The end. Voucher values subject to change.
The UberEats Promo code eats-uberjesska will work in Pretoria, Johannesburg and Cape Town.