I think instagram must be my favourite social media app at the moment. I love seeing people’s creativity or a glimpse into their lives (I’m nosy like that).
The great thing about this photo sharing platform, is the amount of inspiration it provides me on a daily basis. I often see things that I want to try or do, and that’s where I got inspiration for this dish.
Fresh tagliatelle pasta, layered with lightly sauteed red peppers and red onions, a mound of crispy bacon strips topped with fresh lemon juice, parmesan and parsley. Quick to prepare and even quicker to devour.
Being super lazy, I didn’t make the fresh pasta, I bought it from Woolworths, but if you have a pasta making Italian mama gene hidden somewhere inside you, then I’m sure this dish would be even better.
Bacon and Red Pepper Tagliatelle
- 250g bacon, sliced into skinny strips
- ½ red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 250g fresh tagliatelle
- olive oil
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Handful of fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a frying pan on a medium high heat, cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the bacon fat inside.
- Add the red peppers and onions to the pan, and saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the bacon back to the pan, and remove off the heat.
- Place some water in pot with some olive oil and a generous helping of salt, and bring to the boil.
- Cook the fresh pasta for about 4 minutes or until its al dente (if you are using dried pasta your cooking time will increase, please refer to the pasta's packaging for more details.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the frying pan. Toss with some olive oil, the lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Top the pasta with some freshly grated parmesan, and some chopped italian parsley. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper